POINT REYES STATION VILLAGE ASSOCIATION
DECEMBER 14, 2017
Call to Order 6:35pm- Ken Levin
Treasurers Report and Minutes of November meeting will be sent out and be on agenda for Jan.
1. Green Bridge-
Letter from David Moser and Bob Johnston to Caltrans-regarding results of community meeting in June
Discussion and motion to Approve and send with minor changes.
2. Update on Commons- Mark Switzer
3. Alliance of West Marin Village Associations- Ken Levin
Five position papers have been written by the group on
Garbage, Share the road, Speeding, Parking, and Long Range Plans/ Proposals
4. Coast Guard property- Randall Fleming
Currently working on the Community Engagement Process
Purpose is to clarify and find out what the community would like,
looking at factors, sources of funding, federal vs. local
Need for community meeting to get feedback
Agenda item for Jan/ Feb. meeting
5. Design Video- Randall Fleming. A video about residential and landscape design.
Randall Fleming has created a short video to visually accompany the guidelines of Pt. Reyes St. Design Review
A wonderful contribution.
Thanks for your efforts and inspired creativity.
You can watch the video at
POINT REYES STATION VILLAGE ASSOCIATION
November 9th, 2017
Call to Order 6:30- Ken Levin
Minutes of Oct meeting approved- Melanie/Bonnie
1. Coast Guard Update- Randall Fleming
Discussion of RFP- Review for Proposal
Group will be taking a tour of property soon.
2. IA meeting on Fire Safety
Scheduled for March
PRSVA iis supportive and offers assist to cohost, help as needed
3. Commons update- Mark Switzer
Working on trimming down and clarifying costs of management of the commons.
Discussing ground cover
4. Parking on C street -Tom Quinn
Discussion of requirements of Coastal Commission
5. Alliance of West Marin Coastal Village Associations-Ken
Group is discussing the Impacts of Tourism on our Villages
Format being used is assessing Short term / Long term problems
- Need to enforce 'what's on the books’ according to various Community Plans.
-Parking / Speeding position paper has been completed by the group.
Also working on
- garbage and toilets
- signage and sandwich boards
Village Association Meeting
May 11 2017
Call to order 6:40- Ken Levin
Prior Minutes Approved April 11 - Melanie/ Karen
1. Report on West Marin Coastal Village Associations (WMCVA) working group- Karen Gray
The first meeting of the group met with full representation of the 9 Villages and
Ca. Coastal Commission
Sheriff Lt Pittman
Caltrans - Deputy Director
Supervisor Dennis Rodoni
States senator Mike McGuire
NPS - John Del Osso
The group has formed sub committees and will meet 3 more times this year
The sub committees are
1 Bicycles / Motorcycles
2. Signage/ Shuttles
2 Commons Working Group - Mike/ Pam/ Mark / Melanie
The group is working using consensus model. Last meeting group came to agreement on common values and agreement on use, referring to the Point Reyes Community Plan, the Commons Mission and County regulations.
There has been no progress on securing a lease at this time
Discussion of noise and using sound amplification at some events was discussed.
3. Caltrans Meeting- Chuck Eckart
Meeting was held at the Marconi Center.
In the process of EIR review.
Caltrans is accepting public comment.
Discussion at the meeting - requests to re- look at retrofit option.
Caltrans is listening to the community.
Discussion of the 4 alternative bridges Caltrans has proposed. Concerns about how big these structures are.
And questioning width proposal as excessive.
Discussion of impacts on Pt Reyes Animal Hospital , suggestion to invite Mary Whitney to next meeting.
POINT REYES STATION VILLAGE ASSOCIATION
APRIL 13 2017 Meeting Minutes
1 Call to Order - 6:35pm
2 Treasurers report
3 Approval of Minutes- March 9, 2017 Tom/ Chuck
4 Reminder of yearly dues, due at first of the year, $20,00 per person. / Review of Membership qualifications, and Pt Reyes Planning Area Boundaries
5 Report on Love Field Event Project- Gabe Korty, Tyler Love, Jim Love.
History of use of Love Field as ball field and Far West Fest. Gabe Korty's group in the community ("Parachute Days") is working on permit process with county for holding music/ art/ fundraising events at the field. Size of events discussed, crowd management, noise, traffic, parking discussed. The group wishes to hear concerns from the community and address them ahead of time. Invited to be on the agenda in the future to keep PRSVA in the loop as they make their way through the county permitting process.
6 Commons Working Group - Laura
Report from the first meeting - process for selection of reps, structure of the working group were discussed. The reps of the PRSVA are Pamela Bridges and Randall Fleming. Other groups to have representation are the Business group and the Commons. Per Dennis Rodoni request, the working group is to come up with a consensus view on the future use of the commons, and funding structure, as the county will only be paying the rent for one more year. Dennis is working with the owner of the property to try and negotiate a lease.
7 Update on West Marin Coastal Villages Working Group- Laura
The first meeting of this group is May 4th. Per Mike McGuire's request, each Village Association has selected one rep to participate in this. Bring your concerns, questions, suggestions, ideas to your rep.
Here is the list
PRSVA - Karen Gray
Marshall- Lori Kyle
Inverness- Bob Johnston
Inverness Park- Peter Gradjansky
Olema - Karen Anderson
Bolinas Jennifer Blackman
Stinson- Mike Matthews
Muir Beach - Linda Campbell
8 Letter to Cal Trans - Melanie Stone
Request for 3 way stop light at Hwy.1 and Sir Francis Drake, by Levee Rd. and pedestrian crossing at both ends of hwy 1 in downtown Pt Reyes. The Letter from Caltrans was read. They will proceed with installation of pedestrian signet the intersection of hwy 1 and Fourth st. They will also install a crosswalk and pedestrian sign at the intersection of hwy 1 and the south end of Mesa Rd/ First St. This will be done in 4-6 months. The request for the 3 way stop signs does not meet the traffic criteria based on a study done May 11, 2014.
Thanks and appreciation to Melanie for taking this on!
The letter is posted on the website.
9 Car /Vehicle Parking in town- Tom Quinn /Peggy Day
Letter to Dennis Rodoni reviewed and discussed.
Motion made/seconded/passed unanimously to endorse the letter from PRSVA and send to Dennis Rodoni
The letter to Dennis Rodoni is posted on the website
Meeting Adjourned 8:15pm
Point Reyes Station Village Association
October 13, 2016
Called to Order 6:40 pm- Laura Arndt
1 Approval of September 8 minutes- Melanie/Peggy
2 Treasurers Report - Discussion to approve spending only with approval of membership. PRSVA has made a yearly donation of $200.00 to the Dance Palace for use of the space. Approved by membership to make donation for this year.
3 Changes to Agenda - Mark Switzer unable to attend and report on #2 and #5 on agenda
4 Report from the Point Reyes Light -Tess Elliott
Tess gave a history of Point Reyes Light ownership with overview of current ownership and structure. Discussion of editorial policies.
5 Report on Planning meeting with Coastal Village Associations - Pam Ken Laura
Summary of issues and concerns discussed from reps of Village associations. Summary being put together and meeting scheduled to discuss with the group and proceed from there, in preparation for Town Hall meeting in February.
6 LCP update- Letter from Randall
Letter shared with group. Thank you to Randall for following on this issue
Laura Arndt/ Pam Bridges
Call to Order 6:35 pm Karen Gray
1. Announcement: Next PRSVA meeting will be in main space November 10.
2. Karen Gray will be stepping down in role of president for PRSVS. The structure of the Leadership Circle has allowed this flexibility. Discussion about the need to have designated President of the group as point person. Agreement to continue the Leadership Circle structure and core group will continue to meet and plan agendas, record minutes and designate point persons as needed, taking turns being the lead contact for the various issues.All members are invited to join LC meetings and partake in this process.
Thank you to Karen for her help this past year.
3. Coastal Village Association meeting. Our first planning meeting of this group will be Sept. 22.
The community meeting will be postponed until Feb 23. at the Dance Palace, with Mike Mcguire and our new supervisor, and county officials to discuss, present and address community problems.
4. Visit to Stinson Beach Village Association -Pam and Laura
Report from attending SBVA Sept meeting. Observing their process, and structure. Listening to their issues and sharing common goals.
5. Litter Bugs Me-Karen Gray
October 1st Annual Roadside Cleanup co sponsored with EAC. BBQ at Bear Valley at noon. Volunteers needed to help. Contact Karen.
6. Discussion of management of garbage and picnic tables at the Commons.
Letter to Commons and response discussed. Points of discussion: Garbage cans are frequently full, even with extra monitoring. opinions range from adding more cans and dumpsters on main street to decreasing cans to only business that provide majority of garbage- food to go. Since food to go is creating more trash then businesses should take responsibility for dealing with the trash.
More discussion regarding picnic tables in town and at the Commons. Group suggests replacing the picnic tables with benches. Letter has been sent to Commons requesting this. The Commons has agreed to remove 2 tables after Sept 16. What can PRVA do to help - suggest writing letter/talking to business regarding this major impact on downtown. The PRVA suggest Downtown businesses to take responsibility for the growing problem of trash created by food to go and picnicking in the downtown area.
7. Wells Fargo to open on Saturdays?
Discussion- Why open on Saturday, will this serve the community? We think not. Most people state they stay away from downtown on the weekends because of traffic and crowds. Employees requesting we write letter to state we do not feel this is necessary. Motion taken to do so,
LCP hearing coming up 9?26 at the county.Randall Flaming
Please read Randalls excellent letter previously posted
Candidates night- Mark Switzer
Mark has organized evening with Dennis Rodoni and Dominic Grossi on Oct 12 at the Dance Palace. Co sponsored by KWMR and Main St Moms
August 11, 2016
1.Call to order @ 6:35- Laura Arndt
2. Approval of minutes July 14, 2016 – Ken Levin, Chuck Eckart
3. Treasurers report - Pamela Bridges
4. Zero Waste Marin – Madeline- Report from Madeline re: future plans of waste management in town.
5. Commons and Garbage overflow – Pamela Bridges & Laura Arndt
Request for leaseholders and commons to address the consistently overflowing garbage on site. Request to remove picnic tables and replace with benches. Discussion with members re: the impacts of picnic tables compared to benches in a town park atmosphere. Tables encourage visitors to stay for hours, creating traffic flow problems, trash problems, as well as impact on bathrooms. National Seashore is a picnic site, however Point Reyes Station downtown has more picnic tables than Bear Valley Visitors Center.
6. ADA Public Restrooms Update – Randall Fleming
Mesa Road Bathrooms: The Design Review Committee met with the County Public Works department at the bathroom site. The County is just beginning to consider how to have an accessible path of travel from the downtown to the bathrooms, and will need to survey existing site conditions before proceeding. We discussed scenarios with them, stressing the need to have a proper stairway from Mesa Rd to the bathrooms, as well as an ADA compliant handicapped ramp, and suggested they consider adding a separate ADA toilet on the same grade as Mesa Rd.
7. Report on AECOM Study-Randall Fleming
AECOM: Karen Gray and I met with the County Park’s project manager, and discussed our concerns with him, from the lack of data to do sound projections and the need to explore other options, such as shuttles to reduce parking and congestion, composting toilets to reduce waste water, management approaches that respond to existing community carrying capacity, mitigate tourism impacts on coastal community quality of life, and when addressing the economic benefits to the county, include true cost impacts, such as garbage collection, toilet maintenance, policing, traffic congestion and impacts to housing availability and costs. While it was a cordial and positive meeting, we did not see any commitments in changing or amending the scope of work.
8. LCP update:Randall Fleming
The Coastal Commission meeting to consider extending the Hearing date for the Marin County LCP occurred today (date of the PRSVA meeting) The draft language prepared by the Marin Planners protects existing residential housing in the mixed use residential/commercial zone. Also, the revised commercial core area boundary (not yet a final adopted map) has been re-drawn to not include any single family residences.
9. Permitting crowd events Point Reyes- Pamela Bridges Laura Arndt
Community members came to the meeting to address concerns re : interpretation of letter to editor and social media response re: permits and crowd events in Point Reyes. Recent music festival raised questions from community (a) permitting process, need to clarify from county (b) need for future collaboration of village and festival marketers going forward and (c) need to consider impact on neighbors, traffic, and local services.
10. Update Community Forum- Laura
A meeting on Sept. 22 will now be a planning meeting for representatives of our Coastal Villages.
The General Community Forum (tourisms and our community) will be rescheduled for February 2107 *
11. “Litter Bugs Me” October 1st
co–sponsored by: NPS, PRSVA, EAC, and Tomales Bay State Park. A BBQ at the Bear Valley Picnic Area. Volunteers from PRSVA needed to help with BBQ, please contact Karen Gray
12. PRSVA table at farmers market- Laura & Pamela
13. Candidates Night- Mark Switzer
October 12, sponsored by KWMR, and ????
Minutes submitted by
July 14th, 2016
1. Call to Order- Laura Arndt @ 6:30 pm
2. Approved Minutes from June 9, 2016
3. Treasurers Report - Pamela Bridges
4. Leadership Circle - Laura Arndt
Discussion of Coastal Life and Tourism community forum scheduled for September 22, 2016 at the Dance Palace. Karen Gray is the lead on this and will be organizing regular meetings of work group to organize topics and format. Collaboration with other coastal village associations, NPS and GGNRA, Marin Co. Parks, to discuss problems and solutions of impacts on communities from tourism.
5. West Marin Scope of Study Visitors Survey - Randall Fleming
Discussion of 50 year projection of tourist serving issues ( parking /bathrooms ) paid by county ($61,000 ) and provided by AECOM. Leadership Circle has been in conversation with Craig Richardson @ County Parks re: the study. Randall is requesting the study should include sufficient local community participation and review. This will be continual discussion and Randall will present further info at future meetings.
6. "Dance Palace & More" - Claire Peasley
Proposed event August 7, 2016 Sunday @ Dance Palace in recognition of Dance Palace and local non-profits. Event to commence @ 11:00 am at DP, and to form a small parade to weave through town and end @ Gallery Route 1 for the opening of the Box Show. Concerns were voiced by members re: noise and disruption for neighborhoods already under pressure from weekend visitors. Claire aware and will take the issues into consideration. Members very appreciative that Claire came to meeting to provide information and members were supportive .
7. Walnut Square Senior Housing Renovations - Lyn Berard
Lyn let members know the building is on track, and the EAH has procured some trailers to be placed on site behind in garden for those seniors who will be displaced for the two - three weeks during remodel. Some great news also that the funding for affordability has been secured for the next 20 years.
8. Drone Restrictions- Pamela Bridges
Questioning if anyone thinks we should bring up issue of use drones in west marin and perhaps limit usage? This issue is being researched in Stinson Beach,.