POINT REYES STATION VILLAGE ASSOCIATION MARCH MINUTES
Mar. 14, 2019
6:38 Call to Order- Ken Levin Minutes approval without objection
1. REVIEW OF TOWN HALL MEETING - Laura Arndt: Good turnout, Jennifer Blackman did a good job, Village Assn’s have worked together for 2 years, established connections, good thing that’s been established. Going to continue. Light article was pretty accurate.
Comment: Recommendations on website for review. Kudos to all the people on the Alliance, for their collaboration. Need to broaden scope of who participates. Open to new members. Comment: Communication has been established between PRSVA, the villages, and agencies. People addressed issue of traffic. Green Bridge-more of a priority now than 2 years ago? Comment: Workforce housing and climate change more important than Green Bridge. Problems delineated by first town hall meeting: Housing, Sea Level Rise—needs to be covered by county with coastal commission.
Comment: Add Fire Prevention to list.
Need clearly defined process to deal with these issues. Alliance will be involved. EAC is main group here birddogging sea level rise, enormously complicated. Many counties have advisory committees. County already incorporating consideration of sea level rise.
Comment: Main Street Moms commented at supervisor’s meeting asking county to expedite Coast Guard purchase.
2. SPECIAL DISTRICT MEETING REPORT- Ken Levin: Special district = group of people have been invited by Dennis (guests welcome), what would represent citizens of Point Reyes area to potentially address things that are needed out here and types of special districts to pay for changes. May become tax districts, need for more visitor servicing.
3.PROPOSAL TO COUNTY—FORM SUB COMMITTEE WITH DOWNTOWN BUSINESSES- Ken Levin, Pam Bridges, Mike McClaskey
Proposal—that 2.0 acres of county owned land on Mesa Road be used for designated
visitor serving services be used for bathrooms/ parking/ small picnic area. Comment: Great idea. Approach businesses in town, to get more people involved and supportive in it. Collaborate between village association and Chamber. County purposed the land to serve tourist needs: trash, bathroom, parking. Funding mechanism will be discussed. The process is to decide whether to form a subcommittee. Discussion about outreach.
Lorene Jackson meeting re water systems is important meeting and may address this need, among others.
4. GREEN BRIDGE UPDATE- FOLLOW UP FROM TOWN HALL MEETING QUESTIONS/ CONCERNS
Comments: Green Bridge Update Lagunitas Bridge – CalTrans moving ahead. They’ve chosen alternative 3A—3 span concrete bridge with accelerated construction, they will be building it
off-site (not sure if Vet office will be affected). They said they would build the thing and present bridge will remain open and then closed for 3 weeks. Pending the outcome of the lawsuit that is going on right now. Not adequately addressing retro option.
Cannot do anything on ground until lawsuit if resolved.
Comment: Shouldn’t we as a community be supporting the vet office? Is the Village Association going to take any action to the plan they are deciding on? asking for them to redo assessment and do environmental reports. Discussion re how association members feel about bridge alternatives.
5 WEST MARIN COLLABORATIVE REPORT- Peggy Day
Issues of marginally housed, mental illness, health and safety. Peggy to attend Homelessness meeting at West Marin Collaborative.
6. C STREET PARKING/ MARGINALLY HOUSED - UPDATE /DISCUSSION- Ken Levin
Problem is ubiquitous. Exists in other towns. Non-profits dealing with “create your own alternative housing.” There is a certain degree of lawlessness in that community. We were made aware by neighbors that there’s one geographical location in town that seems to be where folks who cause those problems were living. Sheriff said hands were tied and recommended “no parking signs” to give them a way to deal with potential issues there. There’s some moving testimony that was given by 5-6 people in front of county specifying things that happened these past few years. Signs should go up soon.
Hopefully, things will get better and that people who live in vehicles will participate as community members.
Comment: Was there also discussion about people camping in wetlands? County posted new signs now. Dawn to dusk not open. Been part of county regs. The most sheriffs we have is 3-4 sheriffs for all of West Marin.
Comment: 1/3 of homeless are mentally disabled – in SF. H&HS said “it’s so hard to get them help unless they are open to it. They all have different issues. One thing is to ask them how this happened to them.
Caltrans meeting April 2, on long-range plan proposed capital improvements and maintenance effort from 5 Brooks beyond PRS, to Doughty Ranch and north of Tomales -proposed plan to preserve and extend life of existing pavement and include improvements to ramps and signage in PRS.
Rodoni, April 26 noon to 2 pm for face-to-face with supervisor
Comment: We need a focus group for age-friendly Marin. Is anyone aware of plans to improve the accessibility of navigating Point Reyes? Don’t want overlapping resources.
Move to adjourn 7:56
POINT REYES STATION VILLAGE ASSOCIATION MINUTES Feb. 14, 2018
Acknowledgments and heartfelt condolences to Rhonda 6:35 Call to Order- Ken Levin
November & December minutes approved without objection Treasurers report.
1. ALLIANCE OF COASTAL MARIN VILLAGES- KEN LEVIN
Town Hall Meeting to review and discuss ACMV recommendations, 2/212/21 – PRSVA website has groups recommendations – will be printed. Senator McGuire/Dennis Rodoni/Agency Reps identified concerns/complaints about issues around tourism. Formed a better working relationship between village associations and agencies.
3. C STREET UPDATE- Ordinance has satisfied Coastal Commission, soon to be voted on by BOS. We need to go.
4. SPECIAL DISTRICT GROUP MEETING UPDATE- PAMELA BRIDGES
4-5 exploratory meetings. What people perceive as needed. How it would be funded, structured? HHS- Bathroom, Pool, Parking. Boundary? Sales tax increase – incorporate? Examples: IPUD, PBUD
2. SAFE TO SCHOOLS UPDATE- Meeting provided concept plan and invited community input. Comment cards will be collated and results distributed. Ken: A community project to fix the west side of the school path might work best.
5. DESIGN REVIEW- ROY PITTS –
A) Brickmaiden starting construction.
B) 4 lots sold on C street pasture to developer. Questions re: his plans. How to maintain rural values vs urban subcontractor values.
C) Suggests reviewing community plan. If we do, update or change it? How? Group needs to vote – the plan is not a one man or a few men plan. Must be approved by the group.
D) Roy suggests relying on Marin County Map Viewer Historical map, can find street lights, zoning of lots, use permits. Need to keep track of building permits.
ANNOUNCEMENTS – Loreen Jackson Community Development Agency will be scheduling 3 meetings in Pt. Reyes Sta. to discuss water issues, 1st = March 25, 2017
Mark: Main Street Moms petition to push forward on signing deal to purchase Coast Guard Housing.
Dues are due $20.00
Move to adjourn 8:10 Approved without objection.
POINT REYES STATION VILLAGE ASSOCIATION MINUTES
Dec 13, 2018
6:36 Call to Order- Ken Levin
Nov 8 minutes M/S/P Switzer/Eckart
Treasurers report - not done
NOMINATING COMMITTEE/ELECTIONS – Mark, Peggy, Rhonda
Slate: President Ken Levin
Vice President Pam Bridges
Treasurer Laura Arndt
Secretary Peggy Day
Mark Switzer contacted existing officers who agreed to continue with the addition of Peggy and that Roy as a member of the Design Review committee. We can vote by declaring, “Without objections we adopt the minutes.”
We should restructure how the leadership circle works and state it within the bylaws. We’ve designated officers as they are to conform to existing bylaws. We’d like to recommend that Roy be elected new chair of the Design Review Committee. Pam Bridges, Roy Pitts, and John Hernandez presently serve on the DR committee.
Discussion re: election history and revising voting procedure in bylaws.
Comment: Without objections (there were none), we’ll adopt the slate.
NON-PROFIT STATUS INFORMATION – Mark Switzer
Mark: How does village Association maintain source of income? After discussions, Mark learned that if the Association, obtained nonprofit status, it could apply for a community services grant but the grant is a one-time thing. PRSVA would not qualify for the West Marin Community Services umbrella and suggested we explore how becoming a 501(c)(3).
Errors and omissions insurance for the board of directors of 501(c)(3) have to be individually and collectively responsible for a minimum of $1100 for a year. The application process is no longer streamlined.
Ever since the county started the LCP update process 10 years ago, village association’s across the state have been told there is no money to help them update their community plans. There should be a line in the county budget to provide all the village associations money for outreach and documentation. We haven’t had a community services district so we’d have funding. This is a new concept that would benefit all village associations.
Comment: It costs about $5k to update a community plan.
Discussion re: how to stay in business.
CALTRANS DRAFT TRANSPORTATION CONCEPT: Ken Levin
Ken: Someone gave us a copy of the draft. The alliance of WM villages is meeting with Dennis. It is a vision of things CalTrans wants to see happening along the Hwy 1 corridor north to south We are taking suggestions and will see what will happen. I’m glad they’ve included the village assn’s in their planning. They did a walk-though. That is a good sign for future cooperation.
DESIGN REVIEW REPORT/BRICKMAIDEN/C STREET NO OVERNIGHT PARKING UPDATE – Roy Pitts (in abstentia)
Ken read Roy’s report.
Rhonda: Update on Brickmaiden. Their DZA was approved today. Deputy Zoning Committee hearing for coastal permit. Then county can issue coastal permit.
Comment: Do we have a copy of design?
Rhonda: It is online. It’s public information.
Ken: Jan 10 is hearing for C street parking. BOS chambers.
Rhonda: Thursday morning at 10 am.
Ken: Coastal Commission may look at it as a possible denying visitors of parking when they visit beach. People who are interested should be at that meeting.
TOWN HALL MEETING WITH SENATOR MCGUIRE – 2/21 – Rhonda
Rhonda: Senator McGuire set the date, February 21.
Ken: We can talk to the rest of the Alliance of Coastal Marin Villages and hold meeting
regardless of whether or not McGuire is there.
(Ken expects be out of town part of Dec. All of January. Plus week of 2/17.)
6 COMMUNITY MEETING TO REVIEW CONCEPT PLAN FOR SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL - 1/14 - WEST MARIN SCHOOL – Rhonda/Peggy
Peggy: Meeting is to gather community input regarding plans to improve the kids’ school routes.
Rhonda: Wendi Kallins is the program director. David Parisi (Parisi Transportation Consulting), was contracted to come up with a plan. There will be a concept map that is subject to change.
We need to get concept plan vetted to community and, if there’s support, submit proposal. CalTrans will cover part of the changes.
Discussion re: whether any change is necessary and why we are not getting crossing guards
7 PRSVA ANNUAL MEETING - Rhonda/Laura
Discussion re: how other village associations operate and how to increase participation in PRSVA. Rhonda in talks about doing a joint event with Mark Levine
Rhonda: The most important thing that came of that was getting all the agencies involved.
Move to adjourn 7:50
POINT REYES STATION VILLAGE ASSOCIATION
Nov 8, 2018
6:34 Call to Order- Ken Levin
Moment of silence
Discussion to move Item 2 to beginning of meeting to accommodate young student
Minutes of Oct. 11 approved - Rhonda Kutter/Mark Switzer
Treasurers report - not done
2. REPORT ON WALK ABOUT TOWN WITH CAL TRANS- KEN LEVIN
Rhonda: Discussion about losing crossing guard this year & public meeting in January to gather input community about Safe Routes to School funding. Point Reyes has never benefitted from this grant. *SRTS on agenda for December.
Ken: Walked with officials from Cal Trans, TAM, and County, as an outgrowth of Senator Mike McGuire’s working group to address tourism issues looking at signage, crosswalks and problem areas, including the gas station, a dangerous area. Changes will be integrated with SRTS plan. 7% of Measure A funds will go to SRTS. Officials suggested it is not unusual for communities to adopt projects like the paths to West Marin. Officials discussed a pedestrian activation button that would change light from yellow to red. No changes will happen soon.
Citizen repairs like “Adopt a Highway” may be preferred once we know the easement info. We will be involved with county and state planners in the future.
Rhonda asked for people from PRSVA to join a committee to talk with CalTrans about planning in town with CalTrans.
Comment: The struggle is to keep the rural character.
Rhonda explained Green Bridge work today. CalTrans was doing core sampling. Despite lawsuit, they are moving forward with planning.
1. POST ELECTION DISCUSSION OF SHORT TERM RENTALS AND NEXT STEPS- MARK SWITZER
Mark: Measure W passed. We support affordable housing in West Marin and need to urge Dennis Rodoni and county to do more to regulate STRs.
County is making a list of STR owners and plans to increase regulatory actions. Santa Cruz is instituting a ordinance to limiting the number of STRs; residence and business owners need to recognize the need for visitor income; STR owners who do comply need to be acknowledged; this is an opportunity for coalition with residents and STR owners, county has not effectively enforced STR regulation in the past; need equitable, meaningful regulations. Other towns require permits. STR owners presently must register for TOT tax and business licenses.
Rhonda: TOT enforcement is starting. There will be a workshop on Nov. 14th for owners to show how to comply. County will send notices to several hundred owners. When that happened in San Francisco, lots of STRs (voluntarily) shut down. County goes back 3 years to impose fines and can put lien on property. (Further discussion re: definition of STR.
3. FORMATION OF PRSVA UMBRELLA GROUP UNDER 501 c3 GROUP- MARK/ KEN
Mark: Status – The association needs funding. County has funding for non-profits (Community Service Grants). Fiscal sponsorship through the West Marin Community Services scenario would allow for PRSVA to operate under their non-profit status. They would retain 10% of funds and do bookkeeping. PRSVA would need to file application, determine feasibility. Under the non-profit umbrella status of another organization, there are limits: cannot endorse candidates, can endorse propositions/issues. Non-profit status would help PRSVA do outreach, continue design review work, allow a funding stream. Relieve some time consuming secretarial responsibilities.
*Agenda item for December meeting. Discussion.
4. DISCUSS /EVALUATE STRUCTURE OF LEADERSHIP GROUP VS. OFFICERS AND ELECTION PROCESS WITH NOMINATIONS - MARK SWITZER
Mark: Under bylaws, a nominating committee should present election slate at the December meeting to assume duties in January.
Comment: We can make a motion to continue to use the leadership circle construct vs electing officers. Discussion re history and need for outreach.
Motion: Mark, Rhonda, and Peggy will form nominating committee. Approved - Chuck/Roy
Comment: Laura Arndt is the contact person for the public for PRSVA.
Roy Pitts, Design Review Committee: Brickmaiden has a permit in place to redesign showroom and parking places and allow retail sales.
Pam Bridges has 20 copies of the Point Reyes Community Plan for loaning to members.
Next meeting December 13 at 6:30
Adjourned at 7:52
POINT REYES STATION VILLAGE ASSOCIATION
DECEMBER 14, 2017
Call to Order 6:35pm- Ken Levin
Treasurers Report and Minutes of November meeting will be sent out and be on agenda for Jan.
1. Green Bridge-
Letter from David Moser and Bob Johnston to Caltrans-regarding results of community meeting in June
Discussion and motion to Approve and send with minor changes.
2. Update on Commons- Mark Switzer
3. Alliance of West Marin Village Associations- Ken Levin
Five position papers have been written by the group on
Garbage, Share the road, Speeding, Parking, and Long Range Plans/ Proposals
4. Coast Guard property- Randall Fleming
Currently working on the Community Engagement Process
Purpose is to clarify and find out what the community would like,
looking at factors, sources of funding, federal vs. local
Need for community meeting to get feedback
Agenda item for Jan/ Feb. meeting
5. Design Video- Randall Fleming. A video about residential and landscape design.
Randall Fleming has created a short video to visually accompany the guidelines of Pt. Reyes St. Design Review
A wonderful contribution.
Thanks for your efforts and inspired creativity.
You can watch the video at
POINT REYES STATION VILLAGE ASSOCIATION
November 9th, 2017
Call to Order 6:30- Ken Levin
Minutes of Oct meeting approved- Melanie/Bonnie
1. Coast Guard Update- Randall Fleming
Discussion of RFP- Review for Proposal
Group will be taking a tour of property soon.
2. IA meeting on Fire Safety
Scheduled for March
PRSVA iis supportive and offers assist to cohost, help as needed
3. Commons update- Mark Switzer
Working on trimming down and clarifying costs of management of the commons.
Discussing ground cover
4. Parking on C street -Tom Quinn
Discussion of requirements of Coastal Commission
5. Alliance of West Marin Coastal Village Associations-Ken
Group is discussing the Impacts of Tourism on our Villages
Format being used is assessing Short term / Long term problems
- Need to enforce 'what's on the books’ according to various Community Plans.
-Parking / Speeding position paper has been completed by the group.
Also working on
- garbage and toilets
- signage and sandwich boards
Village Association Meeting
May 11 2017
Call to order 6:40- Ken Levin
Prior Minutes Approved April 11 - Melanie/ Karen
1. Report on West Marin Coastal Village Associations (WMCVA) working group- Karen Gray
The first meeting of the group met with full representation of the 9 Villages and
Ca. Coastal Commission
Sheriff Lt Pittman
Caltrans - Deputy Director
Supervisor Dennis Rodoni
States senator Mike McGuire
NPS - John Del Osso
The group has formed sub committees and will meet 3 more times this year
The sub committees are
1 Bicycles / Motorcycles
2. Signage/ Shuttles
2 Commons Working Group - Mike/ Pam/ Mark / Melanie
The group is working using consensus model. Last meeting group came to agreement on common values and agreement on use, referring to the Point Reyes Community Plan, the Commons Mission and County regulations.
There has been no progress on securing a lease at this time
Discussion of noise and using sound amplification at some events was discussed.
3. Caltrans Meeting- Chuck Eckart
Meeting was held at the Marconi Center.
In the process of EIR review.
Caltrans is accepting public comment.
Discussion at the meeting - requests to re- look at retrofit option.
Caltrans is listening to the community.
Discussion of the 4 alternative bridges Caltrans has proposed. Concerns about how big these structures are.
And questioning width proposal as excessive.
Discussion of impacts on Pt Reyes Animal Hospital , suggestion to invite Mary Whitney to next meeting.
POINT REYES STATION VILLAGE ASSOCIATION
APRIL 13 2017 Meeting Minutes
1 Call to Order - 6:35pm
2 Treasurers report
3 Approval of Minutes- March 9, 2017 Tom/ Chuck
4 Reminder of yearly dues, due at first of the year, $20,00 per person. / Review of Membership qualifications, and Pt Reyes Planning Area Boundaries
5 Report on Love Field Event Project- Gabe Korty, Tyler Love, Jim Love.
History of use of Love Field as ball field and Far West Fest. Gabe Korty's group in the community ("Parachute Days") is working on permit process with county for holding music/ art/ fundraising events at the field. Size of events discussed, crowd management, noise, traffic, parking discussed. The group wishes to hear concerns from the community and address them ahead of time. Invited to be on the agenda in the future to keep PRSVA in the loop as they make their way through the county permitting process.
6 Commons Working Group - Laura
Report from the first meeting - process for selection of reps, structure of the working group were discussed. The reps of the PRSVA are Pamela Bridges and Randall Fleming. Other groups to have representation are the Business group and the Commons. Per Dennis Rodoni request, the working group is to come up with a consensus view on the future use of the commons, and funding structure, as the county will only be paying the rent for one more year. Dennis is working with the owner of the property to try and negotiate a lease.
7 Update on West Marin Coastal Villages Working Group- Laura
The first meeting of this group is May 4th. Per Mike McGuire's request, each Village Association has selected one rep to participate in this. Bring your concerns, questions, suggestions, ideas to your rep.
Here is the list
PRSVA - Karen Gray
Marshall- Lori Kyle
Inverness- Bob Johnston
Inverness Park- Peter Gradjansky
Olema - Karen Anderson
Bolinas Jennifer Blackman
Stinson- Mike Matthews
Muir Beach - Linda Campbell
8 Letter to Cal Trans - Melanie Stone
Request for 3 way stop light at Hwy.1 and Sir Francis Drake, by Levee Rd. and pedestrian crossing at both ends of hwy 1 in downtown Pt Reyes. The Letter from Caltrans was read. They will proceed with installation of pedestrian signet the intersection of hwy 1 and Fourth st. They will also install a crosswalk and pedestrian sign at the intersection of hwy 1 and the south end of Mesa Rd/ First St. This will be done in 4-6 months. The request for the 3 way stop signs does not meet the traffic criteria based on a study done May 11, 2014.
Thanks and appreciation to Melanie for taking this on!
The letter is posted on the website.
9 Car /Vehicle Parking in town- Tom Quinn /Peggy Day
Letter to Dennis Rodoni reviewed and discussed.
Motion made/seconded/passed unanimously to endorse the letter from PRSVA and send to Dennis Rodoni
The letter to Dennis Rodoni is posted on the website
Meeting Adjourned 8:15pm
Point Reyes Station Village Association
October 13, 2016
Called to Order 6:40 pm- Laura Arndt
1 Approval of September 8 minutes- Melanie/Peggy
2 Treasurers Report - Discussion to approve spending only with approval of membership. PRSVA has made a yearly donation of $200.00 to the Dance Palace for use of the space. Approved by membership to make donation for this year.
3 Changes to Agenda - Mark Switzer unable to attend and report on #2 and #5 on agenda
4 Report from the Point Reyes Light -Tess Elliott
Tess gave a history of Point Reyes Light ownership with overview of current ownership and structure. Discussion of editorial policies.
5 Report on Planning meeting with Coastal Village Associations - Pam Ken Laura
Summary of issues and concerns discussed from reps of Village associations. Summary being put together and meeting scheduled to discuss with the group and proceed from there, in preparation for Town Hall meeting in February.
6 LCP update- Letter from Randall
Letter shared with group. Thank you to Randall for following on this issue
Laura Arndt/ Pam Bridges
Call to Order 6:35 pm Karen Gray
1. Announcement: Next PRSVA meeting will be in main space November 10.
2. Karen Gray will be stepping down in role of president for PRSVS. The structure of the Leadership Circle has allowed this flexibility. Discussion about the need to have designated President of the group as point person. Agreement to continue the Leadership Circle structure and core group will continue to meet and plan agendas, record minutes and designate point persons as needed, taking turns being the lead contact for the various issues.All members are invited to join LC meetings and partake in this process.
Thank you to Karen for her help this past year.
3. Coastal Village Association meeting. Our first planning meeting of this group will be Sept. 22.
The community meeting will be postponed until Feb 23. at the Dance Palace, with Mike Mcguire and our new supervisor, and county officials to discuss, present and address community problems.
4. Visit to Stinson Beach Village Association -Pam and Laura
Report from attending SBVA Sept meeting. Observing their process, and structure. Listening to their issues and sharing common goals.
5. Litter Bugs Me-Karen Gray
October 1st Annual Roadside Cleanup co sponsored with EAC. BBQ at Bear Valley at noon. Volunteers needed to help. Contact Karen.
6. Discussion of management of garbage and picnic tables at the Commons.
Letter to Commons and response discussed. Points of discussion: Garbage cans are frequently full, even with extra monitoring. opinions range from adding more cans and dumpsters on main street to decreasing cans to only business that provide majority of garbage- food to go. Since food to go is creating more trash then businesses should take responsibility for dealing with the trash.
More discussion regarding picnic tables in town and at the Commons. Group suggests replacing the picnic tables with benches. Letter has been sent to Commons requesting this. The Commons has agreed to remove 2 tables after Sept 16. What can PRVA do to help - suggest writing letter/talking to business regarding this major impact on downtown. The PRVA suggest Downtown businesses to take responsibility for the growing problem of trash created by food to go and picnicking in the downtown area.
7. Wells Fargo to open on Saturdays?
Discussion- Why open on Saturday, will this serve the community? We think not. Most people state they stay away from downtown on the weekends because of traffic and crowds. Employees requesting we write letter to state we do not feel this is necessary. Motion taken to do so,
LCP hearing coming up 9?26 at the county.Randall Flaming
Please read Randalls excellent letter previously posted
Candidates night- Mark Switzer
Mark has organized evening with Dennis Rodoni and Dominic Grossi on Oct 12 at the Dance Palace. Co sponsored by KWMR and Main St Moms