BYLAWS of the POINT REYES STATION VILLAGE ASSOCIATION
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of this organization shall be: Point Reyes Station Village Association.
ARTICLE II – GOAL AND PURPOSES
The goal of the Point Reyes Station Village Association shall be to serve as a forum on issues affecting Point Reyes Station. Its purposes shall be:
1. to inform the community about issues as they relate to Point Reyes Station,
2. to encourage broad community participation,
3. to form an organized response to these issues,
4. to review, update and support the Point Reyes Station Community Plan and to respond to other planning issues of community concern.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
Anyone who subscribes to the goal and purposes of the Association; and who resides in, owns property in, or is the designated representative of a business or nonprofit organization in the Point Reyes Station Planning Area; and who pays dues as provided in Article IV; shall be accepted for membership. New Members and Members rejoining after a lapse in payment of dues shall be eligible to vote only after 1 month has passed from the time of payment of dues.
ARTICLE IV - DUES
Dues of $20.00 shall be paid by each Member upon joining and shall be renewed on January 1st of each year at the rate of $20.00 per year. Dues shall not be pro rata based upon the time of joining and shall be per person rather than per household.
ARTICLE V - QUORUM
A quorum shall number at least 10% of all Members or shall number seven (7), whichever is greater, except that a smaller number may adjourn from time to time.
ARTICLE VI - OFFICERS
1. The officers of the Association shall be Members and shall be as follows: President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
2. Officers shall be elected at the November Membership meeting and shall serve one- year terms beginning December 1st of each year.
3. If for any reason a vacancy in office occurs, the Executive Committee shall elect a replacement.
4. The duties of the officers shall be as follows:
a. The President shall preside over regular meetings of the Membership and from time to time shall serve as liaison with the press, with public agencies and with other organizations. In addition, the President shall attend to the correspondence of the Association, except as delegated to another Member or a committee by resolution of the Members.
b. The Vice President shall assume the duties of the President in case of absence.
c. The Secretary shall take the minutes of the meetings of the Membership and of the Executive Committee.
d. The Treasurer shall be responsible for and shall keep records of all moneys received and disbursed and shall make reports of these records to the Membership at each regular meeting. In addition, the Treasurer shall maintain records of attendance at regular meetings.
ARTICLE VII - COMMITTEES
The regular business of the Association and such other business as may be determined by the Membership shall be conducted by committees. Pursuant to this, the Association establishes standing committees and sets forth guidelines for committees in general as follows:
1. Executive Committee - The Executive Committee shall consist of (a) the officers of the Association and (b) the Chair of the Design Review Committee. The duties of the Executive Committee are to conduct the business of the Association between general meetings and to report its activities in this regard to the Membership.
2. Nominating Committee - A Nominating Committee consisting of five (5) Members shall be elected by the Membership no later than the October meeting. The Nominating Committee shall prepare a slate of candidates for the offices of the Association and for the Design Review Committee, to be voted on in the November Membership meeting. The slate of candidates shall be included in the notice of the November meeting.
3. Design Review Committee - A Design Review Committee consisting of not less than three (3) nor more than six (6) Members shall be elected at the November meeting, to serve one-year terms beginning December 1st of each year.
The Committee shall elect a Chair from its membership subject to the approval of the general Membership, except that the Chair shall not be an officer of the Association. In case of vacancy in Committee membership or in the office of Chair the Committee shall elect a replacement subject to the approval of the General Membership. The Committee shall consider all requests for comment and other correspondence received by the Association from public agencies or other parties relating to proposed land use projects or other planning issues of community concern. In considering these projects and issues, and in commenting upon them on behalf of the Association, the Committee shall be guided by the goals, objectives and policies contained in the Point Reyes Station Community Plan.
The Committee’s Chair shall report on the Committee’s business at the regular meetings of the general Membership.
4. Ad Hoc Committees - All other committees shall be appointed by the President, who in every case shall give first preference to volunteers. The duties of these committees shall in general be as follows:
a. To study specific issues and make recommendations upon them to the Membership,
b. with and after approval by the Membership, to represent the Association before public agencies and at public hearings or other public meetings and on such other occasions as may from time to time be determined by the Membership at its regular meetings.
5. President - The President shall be an ex officio member of all committees except that the President shall not be a member of the Nominating Committee.
ARTICLE VIII - MEETINGS
Regular meetings of the Membership shall be held on the second Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m., except that from time to time the Executive Committee may cancel a regular meeting upon at least three (3) days’ notice to the Membership. Special meetings of the Membership may be initiated by the Executive Committee upon its own motion or upon request of at least 10% of the Members, and shall require that notice be given to the Membership at least one week in advance. All meetings shall be held at a location or locations approved from time to time by the Membership.
All votes shall be taken by voice or by show of hands unless with respect to and before a specific vote any Member present requests the vote be taken by secret ballot.
ARTICLE X - AMENDMENTS
These Bylaws may be amended only at regular meetings of the Membership by a vote of at least two-thirds (2/3) of those Members present, provided that written notice of the proposed amendments was mailed or otherwise delivered to all Members at least ten (10) days in advance of the vote.
ARTICLE XI - ORDER OF BUSINESS
Parliamentary questions not covered in the Bylaws shall be decided by Robert’s Rules of Order.